View Historical USGS Topographic Maps ca. 1903
Historical topographic survey maps of the Gardiner area dated 1903 and 1946 produced by the US Geological Survey can be downloaded from the University of New Hampshire, Dimond Library, Collection of Historic USGS Maps of New England & New York. (Note: Select the Northeast and Northwest quarters of the Newburgh sheet for most Gardiner coverages.)
Shown above is a portion of the Gardiner quadrangle dated 1903. The river flowing south to north (bottom to top) is the Wallkill River...that's right, one of the few rivers in the eastern United States flowing in that direction. It is joined by the Shawangunk Kill here at Ganahgote. "Kill" is derived from Dutch meaning "river" or "stream".
On the westerly (left-hand) edge of this map is the oldest patent in the town of Gardiner, namely the Thomas Loyd Patent granted in February, 1686, by His Majesty James II of England. This 410 acre property was "known by the Indian name of Chanwangung" along the stream now called Shawangunk ("Shon-gum"). Patents are land grants from the sovereign.
The road running west from the railroad station at Gardiner is the Farmers Turnpike, not the present-day Route 44/55. The turnpike was constructed by a private company established by an Act of Legislature as "Farmer's Turnpike & Bridge Company" in March, 1808. Tolls were charged at various points along the road. Eventually the bankrupt turnpike reverted to state ownership. It ran from Gardiner easterly to the Hudson River dock at Milton, N.Y. The westerly terminus of the turnpike was at a hotel located at the crossroads in the upper left hand corner of this map.
The dashed line crossing the island is the original fording place for the turnpike (no bridge), leading to present-day Bevier Road at the Jellystone Park Campground. The road was re-aligned after a bridge was built, leading to present-day Tuthilltown Road on the northerly side of the Shawangunk Kill. The present bridge and state highway Route 44/55 is located further north, above the word "Tuthill", reportedly a family name in the area. Actually, the state highway is Federal Highway 44...but that came later.