Gardiner Fire Department Auxiliary
For More Information go to www.gardinerfireandrescue.org
A Brief History of the Gardiner Fire Department, Gardiner New York
In 1912, the first fire district was formed in the hamlet of Gardiner and the first apparatus, a hand pumper was purchased. Lee McIntosh served as the first Fire Chief. In 1925, a great fire destroyed a good portion of the hamlet. It soon became apparent that better equipment and a larger fire district was a necessity. A committee was formed and soon the movement to dissolve the original small fire district was well under way. It was replaced by a larger district and by 1926 a new Sanford Engine had been purchased and put into service. John Moran was elected to serve both as Chief and also as President of the Gardiner Fire Company. Chief Moran held this position until 1946 when Myron Wells was elected as President and Lawson Upright was elected as Chief.
The original single bay firehouse, located across from the railroad station on what is now known as Station Square, is the current home of the Gardiner Library. It was replaced in 1964 by a new two bay firehouse that was built by the volunteer firemen and located at 100 Main Street. That station has since seen two building additions, the first to add a single bay and the second a larger two bay addition. A second firehouse (Station #2), was constructed at the West end of the district on Route 44-55 (Minnewaska Trail) and was dedicated in 1953.
Both firehouses in the district are owned and operated by the Gardiner Fire Department Inc., a not-for-profit volunteer fire company incorporated in 1952. The Fire Department maintains these properties with funds raised primarily through various fund raising activities and also by contributions received from the residents of the
township and the fire district.
In April 1977, the traditional firefighting services were augmented by the formation of an emergency rescue and first aid squad. All fire and rescue/first aid apparatus is owned by the Gardiner Fire District. The Fire District is comprised of an elected municipal board of commissioners organized under New York State Law. The Fire District currently owns an ambulance, rescue truck, three engines, a tanker, and a brush truck. All of this apparatus is housed in the two firehouses and is operated by volunteer members of the Fire Department.